WHITE CARD REMOTE WORK VISA – THE IDEAL CHOICE FOR DIGITAL NOMADS
The White Card remote work visa is the novelty of 2022 in Hungary within the immigration rules. With the White Card residence permit, the Hungarian government is targeting digital nomads with third-country nationality, whose work is not stationary and they can do their work from anywhere remotely, using digital technology.
The White Card has been available to third-country nationals since 1 January 2022, the information of which is summarized below.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE WHITE CARD RESIDENCE PERMIT
Who can apply for a White Card?
Third-country nationals who have an employment relationship in another country or have a shareholding in a company with a certified profit in a country other than Hungary and carry out their work or manage their business from Hungary with an advanced digital technology solution can apply. The decision period is 30 days.
Who can't apply for a White Card?
Listed below are some of the main reasons why a third-country national should not be able to apply for a White Card. The list is not exhaustive, detailed grounds for exclusion can be found in the text of the law.
The third country citizen may not apply for a White Card
- who already has a residence card in Hungary (eg. studies, working, etc.)
- who is gainfully employed in Hungary or has a share in a Hungarian company or is self-employed
- who acts as an executive of a legal person company
- who holds an EC residence permit
- who has been recognized or admitted as a refugee.
Where should the application be submitted?
In the basic case, the application must be submitted to the consulate officer of Hungary. However, if the third-country national has arrived in Hungary from a visa-free country or if lawfully residing in the territory of Hungary together with such third-country national in the capacity of a family member or has an exceptionally justified reason, the application may also be submitted to the regional directorate responsible according to the accommodation of the third country citizen.
How long is the White Card valid for?
The White Card is valid for 1 year, renewable once for a further 1 year. The extension must be requested no later than 30 days before the card expires.
Can the White Card be revoked?
Yes, it can be revoked if one of the grounds for exclusion occurs during the stay, or the third-country national no longer meets the conditions for the issue, or has left the territory of Hungary for more than 90 days.
What are the other important things to know about the White Card?
- The White Card allows you to stay in the territory of the Schengen Member States for up to 90 days within 180 days.
- If the foreign employment relationship is terminated, it must be reported to the immigration police within 5 days.
- A third-country national holding a White Card may not apply for a residence permit for the purpose of family reunification for the third-country national family member.
- The period of stay with the White Card does not count towards the duration of the long-term stay in Hungary required when applying for a residence permit.
If you are interested and need more information, please do not hesitate to contact us